Many Missouri land owners do not realize that they might be at risk of losing some of their precious land simply because they do not know or understand Missouri law. You may believe that you are simply being a good neighbor when you allow that neighbor to use your idle land for his own purposes, but beware! You need to know the law concerning adverse possession.
Any person can file a lawsuit against you to acquire legal title to YOUR land if he meets the following criteria:
- He has maintained actual possession of your land for ten years or more. This could simply mean that he was the one who mowed the grass on a particular parcel for ten years.
- He has maintained hostile possession of the subject real estate for more than ten years. Did he make it clear that he intended to exercise dominion over the land? Did he erect a fence around it. Did he act like he owned it. This does not mean that he has to threaten the legal owner. It simply means that he acts like he IS the owner for ten years or more.
- He must maintain open and notorious possession of the subject real estate for more than ten years. His possession or claim to possession cannot be hidden. His use of the land must be open to inspection. You have to be able to see or otherwise discern that he is in fact possessing your land and that he intends to do so.
- He must maintain exclusive possession of the subject real estate for more than ten years. This means that you or some other neighbor cannot be using the particular parcel of land for your own purposes. If you, for example, continue to use your own land, even though you allow another to use it too, you demonstrate that you have dominion over the land and another cannot wrench it from you via the legal means of adverse possession.
- The adverse possessor must maintain continuous possession of the subject real estate for more than ten years. Assume that you allowed your neighbor to use your land for five years, say from 1998 to 2003, and then you used the land again from 2003 to 2008. Now assume that your neighbor used the land again from 2008 to 2014 and the total time he used your land for both periods exceeds ten years. He cannot gain your land by adverse possession because he did not exercise dominion of your land for a continuous period of ten years or more.
Land owners, therefore, should always be cognizant of the boundaries and uses of their lands. Review your fence lines regularly. If you find someone using your land and it is okay with you, then draw up a simple lease agreement with that person that demonstrates that you still exercise dominion over it. Never remain silent when another person begins to dominate your own land. You may think you’re being a good neighbor. Ten years later he may show you that you have acted the fool!
For more than 50 years the Supreme Court and other federal courts have been dismantling and destroying the foundations of our once great nation. For most of our history our laws were based upon the solid canon of Old Testament laws. Now courts routinely declare Biblical laws upholding morality to be unconstitutional. Virtually no state legislature, nor Congress, can, for example, pass laws these days to prohibit abortions or homosexual marriage. We now live in a society where good, such as Biblical laws upholding traditional marriage, are considered evil, and where evil, such as laws allowing abortion on demand, are declared to be good.
When our leaders and highest institutions of law and government call good evil and evil good the people become confused and can longer repent of their sins and the evil deeds they find themselves doing. After all, our highest courts now declare many of those deeds to be good. How long will it be, for example, until pedophilia and child pornography are considered to be rights protected by the United States Constitution? It is for this reason that we see such pervasive lawlessness throughout our society today. No one is really safe from theft, murder, or violent sexual assault.
Today I received word of yet another federal court decision driving still another stake into the almost dead heart of America. Now a Christian cross cannot be erected at a veteran’s memorial. Read about it by clicking here.
Both Glenn and Jaired Hall of the Hall Law Firm LLC consider themselves to be Christians and attempt to walk in the ways of Christ in their personal and professional lives. Our goal is to represent our clients as Jesus Christ would if he were your attorney. Of course, we do not consider ourselves as competent as our LORD and Savior, but we serve Him and desire to serve you to the best of our ability.
Call us today with your particular and unique legal need.
The Hall Law Firm LLC handles a wide variety of traffic tickets in Dent County, Texas County, and counties all around this area. It is important to hire an attorney quickly once you have gotten a ticket. It can help to hire an attorney who works with the local prosecutor on a regular basis. We can usually work with the prosecutor to get your ticket reduced to a non-point violation. This can save you money on your insurance premiums and will definitely keep points off of your driver’s licence. Depending on the type of ticket you have, just one to three tickets could cause you to lose your license.
If you were ticketed for driving while intoxicated, then you have a very short time to appeal your initial loss of license with the Department of Revenue. Call us the first day you can!
Call the Hall Law Firm today to discuss your ticket. For Salem in Dent County and surrounding counties call Glenn Hall at 573-729-2229. For Houston and Texas County and surrounding counties call Jaired at 417-967-0066.
Genetically modified crops endanger us all. Fortunately a few people have the ability to challenge the corrupt organizations foisting these monstrosities on mankind. Here is an article about one such victory.
Bayer admits GMO contamination
The Hall Law Firm LLC handles about every type of divorce case one could think of. Glenn alone has been practicing in this area of law for over 20 years. Our experience includes both uncontested and contested cases which require trials.
If you have child custody, real estate, or property issues and you need good, competent attorneys to help, then call today for an appointment.
The Hall Law Firm LLC has handled a wide variety of real estate cases, including contract, adverse possession, trespass, nuisance, and easement cases. We have gone and will go to jury trial when the need arises in these cases. Presently we are working on interesting contract, nuisance and trespass cases. One nuisance case deals with dogs barking unceasingly on a neighbor’s property and a trespass case deals with unlawful logging on our client’s property. We are asking for punitive as well as actual damages in these cases because of the egregious and malicious acts.
These are fairly common issues in the south-central Missouri region, so if you have real estate issues, please give us a call to see if we can help. Our number is 417-967-0066 in the Texas – Howell – Shannon- Wright County area and 573-729-2229 in the Dent – Phelps – Crawford – Iron County area.
We look forward to helping you with your real estate issues.
So, you find yourself charged with a crime? So do many other people in this country. Just read this article to get some idea of the problem. Anyway, if you have been charged, call us today. We can help.
The Hall Law Firm LLC handles various types of criminal law cases. Jaired is currently working on a felony use of a firearms case and Glenn usually has one or more misdemeanor or felony cases regarding unlawful possession of drugs. We also handle driving while intoxicated and all types of traffic cases.
Unlawful possession of drugs is fairly common down here on the edge of wilderness since people often like to “party” with marijuana and other drugs at the Schwag events and on the beautiful Current and Jacks Fork rivers in Dent, Shannon, and Texas Counties.
If you get a ticket or charged with a crime, call us today for legal assistance.
Glenn and Jaired Hall, father and son, practice family law in south-central Missouri. We have done virtually every type of family law matter one could think of, including:
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Juvenile Court for parents
- Guardian ad Litem
- Motions to Revoke Guardianship
- Estate Planning
- Litigation: we have done both contested and uncontested cases in all of the above matters
Glenn works primarily from the Salem Missouri office and Jaired works primarily from the Houston Missouri office. You can reach Glenn at 573-729-2229 or Glenn@Hall-Law.org and Jaired at 417-967-0066 or Jaired@Hall-Law.org